Tuesday, April 30, 2019

Best Day Yet

It actually started yesterday evening.  I got one of the last beds in town, showered, washed a couple of things and went down the road to have a soda with friends. The town was a buzz with pilgrims enjoying the great weather even with the uphill climb all day.

In the morning I started at my usual 6:30 am.  Leaving a small town before sunset isn't always easy, this morning the moon only showed a sliver of light.  The first part of the day went up hill. 

When I reached the high point of this side of the mountains the sun burst with all its morning colors right at the cross where pilgrims throw rocks.  Legend says that when
the Cathedral of Santiago de Compostella was being built, pilgrims were asked to bring a stone.  The tradition is to bring a stone from where your from, with the pilgrims back to the cross the pilgrim throws the stone symbolizing their journey.  Before I left I remembered I had a stone with the outline of Vashon, I forgot it.  Today I picked up one of the stones someone placed on a Camino sign just before getting to the cross.  I turned my back to the cross, kissed the stone and as I threw the stone I said outloud, "Thank you Camino de Santiago."  I walked on with the day's light guiding me.

The day continued with great views, blooming flowers, and warm sunshine.  I think winter has finally moved on. (I hope)







1 comment:

Nancy said...

Beautiful photos Maridee, and a great ongoing story of your journey. You are having yet another “trip of a lifetime”, and appear to be enjoying every moment of it by staying in the moment and letting it happen. You are awesome!