Friday, April 26, 2019

A Day of Rest



Promised myself Leon would be a city of rest for me after 300 miles of walking.  I booked a hotel for two nights to get some time to myself.  Haven't done this since St Jean.  With a rest day comes errands.  Upon arrival I go over the list of the what I've left behind either on purpose by accident or what I thought I wanted along the way.  I've left my head lamp but replaced it perty quick because a flashlight of some kind is a must in any dormitory.  I've replaced my shampoo, which I'm doubling as soap which I forgot somewhere. I've left my five day pill box but can't find a replacement.

Ditched my heavey socks because they seemed to have a potential of giving me blisters.  I've gotten a new pair but after walking in rain, snow, and hail all day I don't want to be stuck with just one extra pair of socks so here in Leon I found a pair with built in liners.  We'll see how they do.  Some insight into shoes or socks no matter what your past experience is there is no guarantee you won't get blisters.  I met a woman a couple of days ago, she's doing her second Camino.  She said she owned two pairs of hiking shoes, the old pair she hiked with before and a new pair.  She opted to bring the old pair because they never gave her blisters leaving the new pair at home.  The old pair is now giving her blisters.

Other elements have been on my mind, one of which is the wind.  The winds on the Camino sometimes come on in an instant accompanied by dark clouds at least up until now. Or as the day goes on the wind builds never allowing the sun to warm us along the path.  Another base layer might come in handy if I walk in the rain again.  I don't want to be caught at an Albergue that doesn't have a dryer to dry my one pair of hiking socks and one base layer I brought with me.  Besides I'm always looking forwindproof layers for other activitlike bicycling and sailing.  I found the perfect base layer here in Leon.

The end of the rest day and I'm ready to start walking tomorrow.  The weekend's weather is looking good.

No comments: