Sunday, April 14, 2019

Palm Sunday

Even though I missed the goings on in Belorado it was the talk of the trail.  Many past me by hurrying to the make the Palm Sunday procession.  Starting the day my left leg still had a sore muscle that developed last night, I slowed down, rested at every opportunity, stretching every hour.  There was no way I could make the procession.

The guide book said that the trail wouldn't be interesting and for the most part it was right.  That being said for me the trail is always interesting.  At dinner last night my Camino family agreed.  After talking for a while, and we tend to talk nonstop, 
someone made an interesting observation, we talked about the people on the trail.  Not the great landscape we passed during the day, not the turns and hills we walked. We talked about the people we hadn't seen in a while, the people we see everyday, about the Italian that fell, and listened to Alana and Denise tell the story, they were there when it happened.

This story came out because the Italian walked into the restaurant we were in.  Garnet got up and went over to check in with him.  Garnet saw the guy on the trail and also give some assistance.  We learned his knee was bruised and he broke his phone.  Phones on the Camino for many are they eyes to what is coming next, a life line to family and friends back home, as well as entertainment.  A piece of home we carry with us.

The tail for me is going over the day before, today it was filled with determination to get to Belorado no matter what time.  Stopping a lot helped.  My first stop came when I walked up stone steps into a village, at the top a grass field opened up with a food truck serving breakfast.  I ordered fresh squeezed orange juice, a favorite of mine on the Camino and sat down at a far table for two alone.  I started to massage my sore
muscle, a woman I greet on the the trail every day and we seem to stay at the same Albergue approached me said she had some cream that will help that sour muscle.  She rubbed it on the cream massaging the muscle a little.  I thanked her.  Acts of kindness on the Camino are amazing.

As I sat and rested Katherine and Kim showed up, joined me, then some else then someone else until we were five.  Live on the Camino is like living in a global community full of caring people.


No comments: