Wednesday, April 3, 2019

24 Hours of Travel

Left Seattle at 12:45 pm yesterday.  So far my plan has gone well.  To prepare I went over and over time tables, time tables that don't tell you the obstacles in your way, or the delays that could ruin even the best time table.  This is what I stew over the obstacles, the delays.  From studying these times tables I have four hours to get from Charles de Gaulle airport in Paris to the train station to catch the train to Bayonne where I will rest for the night.

The first thing on the airplane there's a delay.  They will be replacing a part for the entertainment system.  An hour later we leave the gate, I worry.   After about an hour in the air the pilot announces we will arrive in Paris at 8:15 am only five minutes late.

Relieved I lay down, the plane is so empty that a lot of us get two seats to sleep, I took full advantage of this.   So glad that I slept for most of the flight.  Arrived in Paris breezed through immigration, no questions at customs.  Every thing went even better than the time tables I studied and the google directions directed me.  I sat at Gare Montparnasse for more than an hour reading.

On the train I saw several people that I identified as possible pilgrims.  I got off at Bayonne it started to rain as soon as I walked out of the train station.  My hotel was just across the street.  This rain went on all night and my weather app says rain for the next two weeks.  And this isn't a Pacific NW drizzle it goes from slow rain to heavy rain in an instant and back again.  I got back to my hotel room wet.  I immediately took out all the plastic bags I brought and packed everything in them.  I took out the rain cover for my backpack too.

I console myself that the rain will just bring more internal exploration as I walk.  Its cold too after days of 60 degree weather on Vashon.  My flight and run instinct hints at the surface.  We will see how this all goes.  Its raining this morning the morning I take the train to Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port.


No comments: