Saturday, April 13, 2019

Reflections of Miles Upon Miles

We left early today from the Albergue in Najera as usual.  Even though the temperature read 30 degrees the sun started to peak up over the far hills and there wasn't a cloud in the sky.  Today was going to be an easy 13 mile day after two days of more than 18 miles.

These 18 mile days taxed the fittest of us and me even more so.  People have been dropping back, icing injuries in the evenings. Several guide books rate the days walks, the first 18 mile day was rated easy, the second moderate.  We took off for the first 18 mile day from Los Arcos trying to mentally prepare for the walk ahead.  We started up a hill then down the other side over and over again all day.  At the top of the first hill the wind caught me by surprise as it blasted cold air on me, the second hill I was more prepared.  At the third hill top I thought I was prepared but the dark clouds moved in drizzling water.  I found a place out of the wind to put on my rain gear on.  This pattern repeated itself all day until we rolled into Logrono.

Seeing the same people everyday building a Camino family helps on days like these  This night some of us ate at the Albergue for the ease of it.  The food turned out to be good.  As dinner ended Katherine and I decided to have our back packs shipped to Najera for five euros.  We thought we had a better chance of making the second 18 miles listed as moderate the next day.  On the form to ship the pack they ask you to have a reservation, we didn't.  Looking at the possible Albergues in Najera we saw one with 9 beds.  We counted up everyone that we considered part of our Camino family and came up with nine.  I texted Carlos, he has a USA number with international calling and I can text when connected to the internet.  Katherine called the Albergue just as Carlos answered six people said yes.  Katherine and I already had three.  The Albergue was full. It took three tries at different Albergues to find one that had nine available beds.

The second 18 mile day went well.  The sun shone most of the day, the trail mostly flat and didn't have my pack.  Arrived in Najera in better shape than after the first 18 mile hike the day before.  When you hike nine hours you just don't feel like doing anything but eat and go to sleep.  We all had dinner together at the end of the day.
Today a 12.9 mile hike from Najera even with the pack was the best day yet.  The sun shone all day, the trail went over a couple of small hills, and the views, the views spectacular.  Green fields, red dirt, yellow canola punctuated by a blue sky.  This is what I've been waiting for.  I'm ready for more of the same.

2 comments:

JBauer said...

I look forward to your journaling every day!What a wonderful adventure you are having! Thank you for sharing the Camino!❤

ellen said...

terrific journal - thanks!