Sunday, April 28, 2019

One Bad Albergue Can be Discouraging

Yesterday after aI left  Villadangos  I walked another 6 miles to the Sana Martin Albergue.  Sylvia, an English woman, and I arrived at the registration desk at the same time.  We both asked for bottom bunks.  The proprietor said he didn't have any.  I noticed on the counter a room with two single beds for 20 Eros.  I looked at Sylvia and asked if she'd mind sharing a room.  She didn't hesitate with a yes.  The room felt cold as soon as we walked in.  Never did find a heater in that room.   First on my agenda, a hot shower.  The shower only had cold water making it a quickie.

Outside in the yard tables with umbrellas sat along the walkway.  The sun shone bright and warm.  Called home via Facebook a couple of times, the connection not so good.  As in so many places the Albergue was the only place to get something to eat. 
The food was good I just wasn't that hungry after the big lunch I had had earlier.  I asked about what time I could get hot water for coffee.  The proprietor said the place is locked up until 7:30 am.  I like to leave at about 6:30 am.

Sylvia turned out to be a great roommate.  She's raised money for Parkinson's for her walk.  She gardens, has kids.  We had a lot in common.  Today, the next day, I got up early and so did Sylvia.  I dropped my pack at the front door with the transport slip filled out and the required 5 Eros in the envelope.  Sylvia and I started walking together, she's fast, so I finally said go on ahead I'm slowing down.

As I look back at the walk today is has been one of the best. Found a great coffee place in about four miles, Sylvia sat eating her breakfast so I slipped in the other side of the booth with my coffee and roll.  The couple I ate dinner with was in the booth behind me.  Looking around in this town I wished I'd had enough energy yesterday to to go a little further.  From there the next town was about 2 or 3 miles, and there sat at a sidewalk table three Americans I hadn't seen in a while and an Irish guy I hadn't seen
in a while.  I sat down for a rest and some good conversation.  This was going to be a 15 mile day.  The sun shone bright  all day as the terrain started to get some ups and downs along with some great views.

I entertain myself with taking pictures.  There's always something catching my eye. Two problems worried me all day.  Will my pack get the Albergue and will they have a bed.  I thought about getting a phone to make calls reassuring these two necessities for a while now.  Thinking it would just take one more miss shipped bag to make a cheap prepaid phone worth it.

As yesterday day I walked into Siervas de Maria, the first Albergue, thinking if my bag is there I may try another one, if my bag wasn't there I only hoped they would help me recover the pack from where ever it is.   As soon as I walked in this Albergue I felt welcomed and at home.  My pack was there, got a bottom bunk, a hot shower and am washing and
drying almost everything I own including my sleeping bag.  I'm writing this out on a covered porch with this view while waiting for the dryer to be done.  Life is good today.