Saturday, April 20, 2019

Smiles All Day until Fromista

Thoughts of today started with a thinking about of arriving at the Albergue in Castrojeriz, it made smile than and made me smile during the day.  The proprietor came and went leaving a sign saying; pick a bed I'll sign you in later.  We hardly saw him.  What made me smile when I walked was the colorful sheets and walls along with photos hanging on the wall.  The Albergue has a legend of two previous pilgrim photographers, Julian Campo and Jose Santino Manzano who lost their lives in a railway accident in 2006.

Enjoyed dinner with friends, mass at the, and a good nights sleep.  In the morning I walked out before dawn to be greeted by the full moon.  Energized I
walked out of town.  Shortly after leaving the town the path went up hill soon.  The full moon followed me all the way up helping to guide me.  The walk today 15.3 miles but I felt up to it. Still shipping my pack to the next destination.

The birds didn't start singing until the sun got high in the sky and then I head them all way to Fromista.  Stopped in the first town for some orange juice and eat the rest of my Spanish tortilla which is made with eggs and potatoes and depending the place other things.  I didn't rest long hoping for lunch and a longer rest in Boadilla del Camino.  At one point on the trail I broke out in song, "I'm so happy, oh so happy."  I walked most of the day alone.  At times I jotted down some thoughts.  This came as an idea when a couple of nights ago someone asked what I thought about while I walked and I couldn't answer because I forgot.

At Boadilla del Camino the path want around the town.  Didn't see any signs for a restaurant so I stopped as I left town, ate cashews and drank some water to
hold me until Fromista.  Continuing on the path led to a canal where a boat runs up and down.  You can make reservations.  Now that would be fun, I love boats but don't have a phone or the Spanish to pull it off.

Arriving at the Albergue Municipal I poked my head in to see if my pack arrived.  There sat one pack, not mine.  I've thought about this scenario for days now so I had a plan and thanks to the proprietor here we pulled it off.  She called the company I'd left an envelope with my bag, they claimed the Albergue in Castrojeriz didn't call them.  We called a cab to pick up the bag for 25 Eros.  Taxis along the Camino solve a lot of problems.  Sore feet, sore knees, keeping with friends and rescuing lost packs.  I have my pack now and about to take a shower.

Grateful for two things to day, Alanna for offering to help with reservations and to the proprietor here for solving the missing pack dilemma.  So far things have ended on a good note.

Birds get an honorable mention.






1 comment:

JBauer said...

Happy Easter! A day of rebirth and new beginnings. Brings me so much joy to follow your pilgrimage. ❤