Monday, April 22, 2019

Easter Dinner

Arrived in Carrion about 10:30 am after a short 12 mile walk today.  The Albergue didn't open until 1pm.  I bought some bread to fix lunch I already had
a tomato and turkey.  Sitting in the square near the Albergue in front of the church.  This Albergue is known for singing nuns.  I ran into Rick from NYC and he said it was the best Albergue he's stayed at.

I got first in line so when the doors opened I'd be assured to get a bed.  The doors opened greeting us with a glass of juice and a cookie.  Taking us one by one to sign in.  The cost 6 eros includes a dinner.  We were asked to contribute someting and put it on the table.  April in the bunk across from me and I agreed to share a wash. I went across the square to the outdoor store to get a pair of socks and a top so I'd have a pair when I did the laundry.   Luckily the store opened on Easter.

We started the laundry and went out about town to find something to contribute
to the dinner.  We discussed the lack of lunch stops for tomorrow too.  We found a little convenience store.  I bought a kilo of cookies, April bought a bottle of wine and some chips.   We hurried back to make the community meeting.  Everyone was invited for a meet and greet.

The hosts started the meet and greet.  One talked in Spanish the other English.  We laughed, got to know more about the people we've been meeting on the path and met some new ones.  A couple that kinda keeps to themselves come from Russia, the husband spoke in English telling us their story.  These two are the first Russians I've met.  Some went on to mass, I took a nap.

Dinner was fun.  Started with a salad, main dish came next potato soup, than a tray of sweets for dessert.  We talked, sang all glad we were here for Easter dinner.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Maridee! Buen Camino from Seattle! We just received your post card a few days ago from St Jean Pied de Port. Laura sent a link to your blog as well. You go girl. Enjoy every moment of it. Hugs, Nikki