Friday, April 19, 2019

Albergues aren't Equal

Albergues come in all sizes, some are newly renovated, some are as old as the stone building they're in, some are clean, some aren't.  The proprietor can be picky, or loosey goosey.  There can be 250 beds or nine.  The guide book helps some but just in size and brief description.  Doesn7usually list what the meals are like.  We've had the best and the worst meal at an Albergue.

Last night the Albergue had character.  A wood stove, friendly proprietor, in a small village, an oasis after a rainy day. They filled all the beds and two people slept in the common room.  Albergue Hornillos Municipal's listing says there are 32 beds in three rooms.  The cost 5Eros, 15 with breakfast and dinner.  Hornillos has a population of 70. When the Albergues are full the town population doubles. I heard the one bar in town had two tables.  So what were the choices for meals besides the Albergue.  I paid the 15 Eros.  Last nights Albergue was classy at 5 eros.

The place had little heat when I arrived but the proprietor stocked the
woodstove in the common room starting to make it warm and cozy.  As the evening went on we all gathered in the common room for warmth and company.  We hung our wet stocks above the wood stove, stuffed our shoes with newspaper and set them under the woodstove to dry.

Dinner turned out to be cooked by a volunteer
Frenchman who is a vegetarian.  Cuscus, vegies,
garbanzo beans and almonds, yum, loved all the veggies.  Breakfast on the other hand seemed dim at first. As usual I woke up early packed up and was down in the kitchen by about 5:30.  My headlight on my head I poked around finding the coffee maker set up for hot water, I plugged it in and pushed the button that should have turned it on.  Nothing happened.  By this time the two guys who slept in the common started to get up.  I apologized.  They said they needed to get up.

I looked around to turn the lights on after I tried to get coffee out of the coffee machine and my Ero came back.  Couldn't find one, I found the hall light but not the kitchen lights.  One of the guys that slept in the common room suggested the electricity could be on a timer.  Sure enough at 5:50 all the lights and appliances lit up, the hot water started perking in the pot, the coffee machine cautioned to wait until the water heated and I was able to make hot water for coffee in the microwave.  I already had two bowls of the best granola I've eaten on this trip.

I got out of the Albergue by 6:15, feeling like I was sneaking out in the dead of night.  I dressed for rain.  The morning colder than the morning before with predictions of rain.  I've gone according to my calculations 215.5 miles but this sign says more.



1 comment:

Catherine said...

Hello Strong Woman,
How nice to read your blog, is a little bit like I still travel with you. I needed a full day to get back to Roncesvalles, 1 overnight and another full day to arrive home at 24.00 at night. I was sooooo tired ! But my toilet, my shower and my bed ! It was great meeting you and discussing a better world. You are a beautiful person !
Big hug
Catherine