Wednesday, April 10, 2019

A Path is Not Just a Path


The Pilgrim on the Camino talks about walking the path.  A lot of us talk about putting one foot in front then putting the other one in front.  Some talk about a spiritual path, some talk about the path to physical challenges.  But how often do you hear about the actual walking path, is it because its boring?  I am here to tell you that the daily path winds, gets narrows, becomes a road, goes through forest, up mountains, through farming country all of this in one day.  This is how walking a path never gets boring.

On the edge of Pamplona on the way out of town  Garnet a pilgrim I was walking with at the moment "Ahhed over the contrast of farm land on one side
and city on the other and freeway just ahead. " We in our daily lives normally drive so fast past all of this we lose sight of these moments that pass us by at 60 miles an hour.  On the Camino we see, walk and sense all these moments.

As the days past and we have become seasoned pilgrims we hash over turns in the path, uphills vs down hills, coffee stands that spring up along the way that we experienced today and then we look at what the guide book says will come our way tomorrow.  The topic today, the 17 mile walk tomorrow.  One of the longest days.  With all this talk about tomorrow's 17 mile walk I start to wonder how the gravel will be, how much will be on roads, will I get lost like I did the other day, and least of all can I make the 17 miles.

I've started to follow several pilgrims and search them out to hear how their day went, or have dinner with, or figure out where to stay.  We are the ones that hash things over.   Their really my Camino family.  Looking forward to to walking the "Path" with them.  I check in with a lot of people during the day, like a couple I took their picture several days ago, or the Koreans that we play catchup with during the day,  and so many others.

1 comment:

JBauer said...

Thank you for sharing your journey. Your writing takes me with you❤