Thursday, April 25, 2019

A Much Needed Day

After a day of cold and snow, I settled into the Albergue in Mansilla.  Took a somewhat warm shower, got my wet clothes dried, worked at drying my shoes at the
one heater between the two dorm rooms upstairs in the building at the other end of the courtyard.   Hung out with some people I hadn't seen in a couple of days. The Internet can only be accessed down stairs either in the office, which was the warmest room in the place,or the kitchen, the second warmest room in the place.

Asked the woman in the office where a good restaurant was.  She directed me to on just a couple of blocks away.  Great choice, they served the best roasted bass I've eaten in a long time.  We've crossed over into a new food region, the potatoes come in a home cooked potato chip style.  For dessert I could even get decaffeinated coffee with milk to go along with the cheese cake.  The hot drink warmed my insides.  As I left the restaurant I spotted the two women who ran the office at the Albergue in the bar.  I popped in and said thank you, I had a great meal.

Back at the Albergue the kitchen buzzed with activity.  Two home made meals, wine and good conversation lingered at the tables.  I sat at the table where I
heard English, and new most of the people.  I talked to the young Irish guy who studies to be a chef.  The first thing he said to me was, "good job today, the Irish woman said you inspired her to keep going through the snow."  He pushed his, body back in the the chair, acknowledge the the women, she raised her glass to me, I did the same in the true Camino spirit we were thankful of each other.

The next day was an easy 11 mile day into Leon where I have booked a hotel room for two nights just for me, aaaaah a room of one's own.  This thought kept me going all next day.  Great full the threatening rain never poured on me.

No comments: