Saturday, April 6, 2019

Snow - Sunshine - Sprinkles

The lights went on at 6:30 am, breakfast is at 7 am and the Albergue closes at 8am.  All 257 of us started moving. My bed #237.  The Danish young man across from me announced, "Its 0 degrees".  Not quite in the headset of metric I had to think about that, its freezing outside I concluded.  I asked out loud the question all of us pilgrims were thinking, "I wonder if its raining?"  The Danish guy looked at my I looked at him and both walked over to the window near us, opened it, no it wasn't raining, it was snowing.  We announced it to everyone within earshot.

Luckily it stopped snowing by the time we got outside to walk.  It was cold, the path seemed to clear.  As we descended from top of the past the snow started to melt, by mid day there wasn't a trace.  Saw the people that I'm getting to know along the trail and had dinner with a restaurant full of pilgrims.  We in the small village of Zubiri tonight.

Having gone only 15 miles today it seemed easy.  Tomorrow Pamplona  will be even shorter.  I'm three days ahead of schedule.  Thinking about a couple more days of rest but then I'd miss the people I'm meeting.  They come from all walks of life, are all ages and from everywhere.

South Carolina, Czechia, Brazil, Poland, Holland, Australia, New Zealand, Alabama, Colorado, Idaho, Vancouver BC, South Korea just to name a few.  The Camino is more like a visit to the globe, than a visit to Spain.  Walking the Camino is more fun than I thought it would be.

2 comments:

Nancy said...

I am so glad you are finding this so much fun! It sounds like people come and go in the group so there is no ONE group that stays together necessarily, You are on a once i a lifetime adventure — as usual ;’-)

JBauer said...

💙❤💙