Saturday, April 27, 2019

The Landscape is Changing

As soon as I got beyond Leon I could see snow capped mountains in three directions. In theee days we'll start the mountain climb again.  Hopefully with
the next couple of days of nice weather the snow will be melted.  Mostly on my own now I decided to stick to the main route.

The guide book I've been following suggestion for today's stopping point, Villadangos del Paramo.  When I arrived I walked right through town without seeing a sign for the one and only Albergue.  The marked route took us through on a side street.  I turned left to get to the main street found a restaurant, went in showed a man my book, pointing to the Albergue description.  He pointed me back to the way I came in. After asking several people the last person pointed to the picture in the book.  Now I knew what I needed to look for.  Found it right away.

By the time I got to the Albergue I'd already decided I wanted to go the 5km to San Martin del Camino but I needed to pick up my pack.  I looked around found the packs delivered by the transport company, mine wasn't there.  The proprietor ignored me at first, walking away.  Then walking around, I approached him and said, "Are you going to help me call my hotel or should I go somewhere else?"  He walked to the front desk, pulled out his phone.  I got my pad of paper and wrote Petit Leon Hotel.  He dialed the number then handed me the phone.  The guy on the other end said he sent the pack by a different transport and the pack should arrive in about an hour or two,

Seeing how it was past noon I went back to the restaurant to get lunch.  On the way I found a Comino credential,  thinking someone wouldn't want to lose this I picked it up off the ground.  I opened it and guess what, it was mine.  Guess I wasn't tracking very well having already gone 13 miles, not finding the Albergue nor my bag.  Luckily I ate a great lunch, just what I needed.  As I walked back to the Albergue I prepared myself not to expect my bag there.

When I walked in the door of there sat my bag.  I swung it on my back told the proprietor thank you and took off down the road to the next town.  As I walked I
kept noticing motorcycle police riding down the road.  Lots of them.  I decided its either some kind of special event or it's the president of Spain about to come down the road.  It turned out to be a bicycle race.

Here's some photos for all my bicycle friends.  I'm save and sound at the Albergue in San Martin del Camino for the night.


2 comments:

Nancy said...

Finding a good base layer (all the way over there), and seeing a bike race the next day must bring you thoughts of home ;’-). I am following along with your journey each day and give you lots of kudos for doing this incredible trek. Glad to know you are safe and happy ;’-).

Catherine said...

Love to read you and follow you on my Camino book.... like a little dot moving direction Santiago ! Big Hug,
Catherine