Sunday, April 21, 2019

Happy Easter

Spain prides itself in its churches.  I've walked by a lot of them.  Every village no matter how big or how small has a church as its center piece.  A lot of the churches have been locked, the ones that have been open are free or a minimal donation.  I wrote a blog post of one of the churches I went into.  Eloise, the woman hosting pilgrims there, use to play the now defunk pipe organ.  That got me wondering if there was any kind funding to refurbish churches.  This was before Notre Dame burned.  I thought it would be nice to refurbish the pipe organ at this church so that Eloise could play one last time.

The next church I went into an Irish priest I'd been walking with went inside at the same time.  He knew to put a Euro in the slot to light up the Sanctuary. 
When he did the whole church came alive. The priest had said this church was known to have one of the biggest screens.  I didn't know what he meant until the lights went on. The whole Sanctuary shown gold, with figures depicting different events from the Bible.   The figure in the the photo is the Virgin Mother in sorrow, she`s carried around in processions during Holy Week.

Holy Week is an interesting time to be in Spain.  Most villages and towns have some kind of goings on, the medium size towns have processions every night after mass.

Costumes you see people wear at these possessions remined people (and not just Americans) of the KKK.  We saw this in Burgos
at  the first procession at the start of Holy Week.  In Castrojeriz I went to mass and captured the procession on video, its posted on my Facebook page.  Castrojeriz like most small villages is losing population, giving the town the feel of a ghost town at certain times of the day.

Besides Holy Week Spain does have amazing churches, some kept up, some repurposed from the Moores, and some national treasures.


Just remember miracles do happen. Happy Easter everyone!




No comments: