Tuesday, April 16, 2019

Spring Moves Winter Over Slowly

Started on the walk yesterday, one by one signs of spring shown themselves.  Flowers popped up here and there, bugs busied themselves on the path, caterpillars moseyed along and snails slithered as I avoided them.
     
The sun was shining.  For the first time I unzipped the legs of my convertible pants.  Got down to one layer on top.  My leg felt better allowing me to walk at a faster pace.  This was going to be a 17+ mile day because we planned to go one town further for better accommodations.  I stopped at a place called the Oasis at the top of one of the
hills. Got a lemon soda and sat down with some friends for a rest.  Rumors started going around the path about than about predictions of thunder showers about 2:30pm.  Being in denial I continued to bask in the sun as I walked towards Ages.  2:30 went and gone. I hoped I was in the clear.  Still in the forest on the walk I could see dark clouds approaching. They moved in with the cold wind.  I put on my rain coat that had been tied on my hips.  Cold rain drops fell with the force of the wind hurting my face.  Then the rain eased and the wind backed off.  I walked as fast as I could trying to stay near the trees for protection.  This went off and on for a couple of miles.  I put my hands on top of my fanny pack to protect my camera.  The last half mile the wind blew back in with a stronger force, lightning and thunder could be heard all around me.  That's when the hail started, stinging on my skin where ever it hit.  I started walking backwards but remembered the iron railing at the gates to keep livestock out and a gate was coming up.  I turned, zipped my coat up put up the hood, protected my camera and kept moving.  Lighting hit just in front of me.  Laura's warnings about walking in lightning storms played in my mind and I walked faster.  The 17 miles I'd already gone couldn't get in the way.  I made it to the Albergue where everyone was staying.  There was no hot water.  All I got that night luckily was a good nights sleep, breakfast and a slightly shorter day today to Burgos.  So far I've walked 188.7 miles.  I'll rest for a day here.

2 comments:

Nancy said...

I am just now catching up with your journal and loving every page. You are on such a fantastic adventure and sharing it so well. Do stay well and watch out for your body if it tells you something ;’-). Take care of that bothersome sore leg.
All the best to you on this journey, you are doing such an amazing job at walking so many mile each day.

Nancy

Shelly said...

So happy for you. Enjoy the 'journey share' that you offer, so inspiring and interesting. It leaves me excited to know that such adventures are possible.
..and so fun to know you!! are doing this. Wonderful. Semi retirement is taking us to Fiji and Alaska this year, but looking forward to multi month adventures..not to far away now.
Shelly Bowman