Saturday, April 6, 2019

The First Conundrum

I woke up in the middle of the night restless thinking about what to do tomorrow, just walk out on my second night and start walking seemed to be what I thought of over and over again.  I got out of bed and went to the window, looking out for a while before I noticed not a light anywhere in sight.  The night looked totally dark with highlights darker here and there indicating the mountains in the distance.

My lodging was an 1.4 miles out of St Jean Pied de Port on the Napoleon Route, I know because I walked it with my garmin on last evening after dinner.  This would have been great if the Napoleon Route wasn't closed due to snow for the next four days.  This meant when I took off on my first day of the Camino I'd have to walk  1.4 miles to the start and the first day is one of the hardest and longest.  If I stayed here where I was staying I'd have to walk back and forth for meals or hang around town all day.  This is how I got to, if I have to walk why not walk on the Camino.

A while later I finally got back to sleep.  Waking up the decision had been made.  I'd gotten a cinnamon roll and some coffee before I left town last night for breakfast.  I ate, drank, packed, looked out the window.  It doesn't get light here till after 7:30 am.  The road from here is not lit, its narrow and not that safe without some lighting.

I left at the first light. Just kept walking and walking, up, up to the top.  It sprinkled a little just before arriving at the Albergue.  This Albergue was amazing well organized good meals out in the middle of now where.  The first night of the first day for everyone there.  We all were high on just being there, accomplishing the 18.1 miles.  So many confessed they didn't think they would make  I certainly didn't.   I've never walked 18.1 miles in one day in my life so I was strutting some pride myself.





3 comments:

ellen said...

Well done!

JBauer said...

❤ love your writing! Look forward to following your experiences on the Camino! Prayers a d blessings for your safe journey!

Nancy said...

18 miles!! You are awesome in more ways than one! I hope some of your days will be less miles. I cannot find a way to “follow” your blog, so will try to check in when I think of it. Keep on keepin’ on ;’-)