Thursday, April 18, 2019

The Rain in Spain

This was the kind of day that you put on your layers with rain gear on top and just start walking.  I first put on a base layer then another layer, than a gortex layer and last but not least a solidly waterproof poncho.  The weak link, shoes and socks.  Oh
well, away I went.  The rain reminds me of home, just a slight rain for hours.

The terrain today entered the Meseta.  Known as the great interior Meseta (plateau or plain) of the Iberian Peninsula, with Madrid at its centre, it extends over 81,000 square miles and has an average elevation of 2,165 feet. It constitutes the oldest and most complex geologic formation of the peninsula. Its western slope is gently inclined toward the Atlantic Ocean and forms the basins of the Duero, Tagus, and Guadiana rivers. To the north the plateau rises abruptly into the Cantabrian Mountains, where where I'm headed.

Even though it rained today the phrase " The Rain In Spain Stays Mainly on the Plain," is misleading.  Rain in Spain does not actually stay here mainly in the plain; it falls mainly in the Green Spain ( the name given to a lush natural region in Northern Spain), the phrase was translated as La lluvia en Sevilla es una maravilla (The rain in Seville is a miracle).

Some say this section is boring.  I say the farmlands look like a smooth green wavey lawn, sounds like a bird sanctuary, taking me on gentle ups and downs.  The small villages roads are still narrow just not as windy.  Good days for day dreaming.

Two people that were my rock on the Camino are no longer with me.  Katherine the social directed went home to Holland, and Garnet did not want to rest for a day.  There are still people here at the Albergue I've met on the walk and I'm meeting new people too.  Nothing stays the same, people, terrain, weather as I move forward on the Camino.

No comments: