Friday, April 26, 2019

Coming into Leon

Approaching any city, town or village along the Camino you see the steeple of the church or cathedral at the center of the community before you see the rest of the town.  These religous structures built centuries ago remind us today of the Roman and Moore influence in the area.  The Cathedrals in Burgos and Leon exemplify gothic architecture.  I've visited both of them now and I would be hard pressed to come up with which one I would say is the best, is the most beautiful.

Coming into Leon rounding a hill the cathedral showed me where the path
would take me.  It told me where the old part of the city is.  The distance seemed overwhelming even after all the walking I've done.

Visiting the cathedral here in Leon today gave me some insights into the other churches I've visited along the way.  I know nothing about gothic architecture.  What I learned today, is the cathedral structures became possible because of the new ceiling support structures that give the ceilings of all the churches I've been in, an artist pattern.



The Cathedral of Burgos (Santa María de Burgos) is, along with the Cathedral of León, the largest Gothic construction on the French Way, and in Spain. Declared a World Heritage Site in 1984, the famous needles on the tops of the towers are very recognisable, a type of decoration that is typical of the German late Gothic style.  The fine carved textures design on these famous needles brings to mind fine lace when I look at them.

The stone figures at every turn fascinate me.  The Virgin Mary more prominent then I would have thought.




No comments: