Wednesday, May 1, 2019

Happy May Day

Spain celebrates May Day in style: The Galician gaiteiros (bagpipers) is the traditional instrument of Galicia Spain and northern Portugal.  We are about 50 miles from the Galicia region of Spain but then cultures are not stopped by boarders or maps.


I've got an evening routine mostly down.  I arrive at the Albergue, get my shower stuff, grab my after shower clothes and take shower.  This process wakes up my pores which somehow revitalizes me to have energy to do the rest.  Then I switch memory cards out between my tablet and camera to up load the days photos to Google photo galleries to keep a backup.  Next my favorite part, write my blog.  I usually do this before dinner.  At times we are all sitting around so I socialize while writing, tonight however I'm getting some alone time a rare thing on the Camino.

I wash at least a pair of underwear, if there is a spinner available I'll wash some other things because their guaranteed to dry over night.  I charge my tech stuff, Garmin watch, phone, tablet and camera battery.  Arranging the morning things to make sure I can be as quiet as possible, the head light needs to be available, if I'm making coffee in the morning and what ever I've drummed up to eat with my coffee is some how on top of things I won't need.

Some times I take a nap before dinner.  Dinner in the evenings has to be one of the most important tasks, hunger always lurks when you walk so much.  Tonight we're in a town with dinner options a special treat.  We spend many nights at Albergues that are the only place to eat in town.  

When things don't go quite right during the night's routine I may not know it until the next day.  Like the evening I searched for my my quick dryer towel I've had for nineteen years, somehow id misplaced it so I've been using my bandana for a towel.  Or today when I pulled out my camera and forgot to switch back memory cards.  Luckily for my camera, I had one stored in my fanny bag.  Taking pictures entertains me on my walk.

As for the towel I purchased one today.  In the town of Cacabelos I walked right into a street market as part of the May Day celebrations.  I got a small terrycloth towel for 3 Eros, two nylon short sleeve tshirts for 5 Eros, and a scarf to dress up evening dinners.  I've been tempted to order octopus on the menu when I've seen it, it is a delicacy in this region of Spain, but seeing it being cooked at the street market discouraged me.

All in all another great day.
.


1 comment:

Nancy said...

I’d say you made that towel last a long time and it is about time for a new one. And what a great place to purchase one ;’’-)