Thursday, May 9, 2019

The Finish Line

Sitting in the kitchen of the Albergue in O Pedrouzo I felt sad the walk was ending, yet excited about going home.  Such mixed emotions.  The internet was good at this Albergue reaching out to thenwhole place, what a good time to call Laura. We talked for a while even though I woke her up.  I sat drinking my machine made coffee wanting to saviour every moment on the path.

Today the rain was guaranteed.  I walked out into the darkness heading for the Camino.  The path didn't go through town.  The street lights lit the way until the
path turned left into the woods.  I hesitated, took out my phone to help light the way.  In about a mile I stopped at a cafe with the worst cup of coffee yet on the
Camino, worse than the machine coffee.

By this time all my rain gear was on.  With every step I thought about Santiago wondering what the city would be like, what not walking would be like, wondering if I'll be able to change my flight, will I be able to get my certificate as soon as I get into town, how long will be the line be.

13.3 miles later I walked into Quintana Square in front of the Santiago Cathedral.  Garnet walked up to me before I even got across, gave me a big
hug,"Good work," he told me.  He led me to the Camino Santiago official office to question up to get my certificate.  He said the wasn't as long as when he arrived the day before.  We talked about all the adventures since he went on and I took a day of rest in Burgos.

After getting my certificate we went to a nice restaurant for paella.  Garnet offered to get champagne but then remembered I don't drink.  We talked about the Camino community, the Albergues we stayed in, the food we'd eaten.  It felt like the first of many homecomings yet to come.   I came and did what I had intended, walk the Camino de Santiago French Way.

No comments: