Sunday, May 5, 2019

Galicia

Yesterday evening I walked into Fonfria after carrying my pack for 11 miles.  Walking into the first Albergue I came to got me the last bottom bunk.  On the way in I noticed one of the Galicia architecture buildings across the street.  The structures distinguished by the round outer walls and the thatched roof. The proprietor covered me a regional dinner for 9 euros.  I signed up, pilgrim menus at restaurants usually cost 1o to 12 euros.

It turns out dinner was served in the Galicia building.  When I entered the pole
construction of the roof caught my attention.  Tables set up in a semi circle captured the round essence of the building as well.  First the wine and water arrived, then the soup.  A delicious vegetable dish, I think I had three bowls.  Then the rice and beef stew.  Beef that wasn't flattened to the point of not being recognized.  The stew included vegetables too, peas, mushrooms and pimentos.  For dessert, Tarta de Santiago almond cake to top ove a great day.

In the morning I got my two cups of coffee right at 7 am in the Albergue cafe.  Bought some oranges for the day, yogurt for breakfast and took off.  The path once again had more walkers than the road had cars. We walked, up hills down hills with great views of the Galicia.

Just about lunch time I came upon one of the
Camino's magical rest stops.  I walked in right away I saw a table with snacks, couches and a courtyard.  The sun shone bright by this time so I headed for the courtyard.  There in by the back wall sat some friends.  I walked over and sar down.
Took off the legs of my pants.  Met the people at the table I didn't know, enjoying the rest.












The best thing about the day, this photo



No comments: