Sunday, May 12, 2019

No Epilogue to this Journey

The second day I was in Santiago I ran into one of the people I walked with on the Camino as I was on my way back from my morning coffee.  We hunged each other as if we'd known each other our whole lives.  He explained he was on his way to catch a bus for further travels.  He then looked me in the eye and said, "A lot still to process."  I knew exactly what he meant.  Tears were right below the surface for me, some because I was home sick and some because the community that I became a part of on the Camino would never be the same.  I would never be the same.

Twenty two of us had dinner the night before at the Sam Francisco Hotel.  Our group was seated in a room that looked like an old chapel.  We said our goodbyes, wishing every one on to their lives.  Now in Madrid my thoughts still fill with Camino, the walking the people, the villages.  Before I came I had three expectations, meeting people from all over the world, creating community, and walking through village after village in the countryside.  I was not disappointed.

As I continue to process the Camino the realization that the experience will take a life time to process. I know now why people I'd met who had done the Caimino had a twinkle in their eyes when they talked about their experience.  A volunteer at the Albergue I stayed at on Easter said it the best, "Buen Camino" is not just words it's the spirit of the Camino community of walkers.


No comments: