Friday, May 3, 2019

Changes Filled the Day

The morning started cold, very cold as we climbed up the mountains.  Slowly we went, as slowly as the clouds that rolled in over the end of the valley we climbed.  As the clouds rolled the wind picked up allowing the colder air to settle
in.  My hands never did get warm until O'cebreiro.  By this time the sun settled in for the day but as long as the wind stayed the coolness lingered.  During this beginning part of the walk the path enter the Galicia, an autonomous community in the Northwest part of Spain where Santiago is located.

I had my pack sent to O'cebreiro not sure how I'd feel after the climb.  My Pacific Northwest roots shined through and I was ready to head on, but wait my bag wasn't there.  I'd made the climb in two and half hours it was only 9:30am.  The pack might not arrive until noon if I'm lucky.  Tony and I got some
breakfast, he was waiting for two people he'd been walking with to continue the day, Jerome and April who I'd also hungout with.

We sat around for about an hour before they arrived.  April was having some problems and I was hoping if my pack came she would take it in the taxi with her and drop it off in Fonfria.  But that didn't happen so I hung with April until she secured a ride.  Then I went out to the main square, it had filled with pilgrims and tourists. O'cebreiro has the oldest extant church associated directly with the pilgrim way.  Most of the cafes had a wide range of pilgrim souvenirs.  Pilgrims walking through O'cebreiro stopped at a cafe to at least get a coffee.

The people who road the horses up the hill arrived so I sat them getting to know the "Horse Guy" I'd heard so much about.  You see that's how the Camino goes, word of mouth spreads faster than if the Camino had their own newspaper.  We tried the Galicia octopus, very good spices.  They left leaving Bret and I to wait for our bags.  I got mine first although later Bret said his had been there for while, no one knew where it was.  Any ways I started walking with my pack for the first time in a long time.  Eight miles later I arrived in Fonfria in good shape.

After yesterday's post I've rethought the title of the blog post, "Today a Walk Was Just A Walk."about how a walk is never just a walk.  A walk is never just a walk, a walk is a meditation, it's an observation, it's discovering, it's walking through life.  Ok Ok, I know it appears I'm getting spiritual on the Camino, but when on the Camino do the Camino. I'm within 150 kilometers of Santiago!



No comments: