Monday, May 6, 2019

So Close and Still Enjoying the Camino

Last night we stumbled on a medieval music concert in the town's church. The instrument that interested me the most, a betsill or symphonies or primitive hurdy gurdy.  A woman accompanied them and with vocals.  The sound filled the church.  I left early to get some sleep.

With only 8 people in an Albergue that holds 32 it was a quiet night.  In the morning I could get hot water for coffee and out the door at 6:45am.  Yesterday day a guy passed me and said, "You keep a good pace." The same day day Laura emailed me saying "You might be slow but you sure do have endurance." I always tell people I'm slow but I can go for ever.

On the Camino the lat couple of days I've identified several different places I have during the day. There is a faster pace after I've gotten a rest and a bit to eat. My rhythm pace goes with the clicks of my hiking sticks, da do, da do, dada dada (repeat). Sometimes I even skip during the dada dada part, that's when I'm really enjoying myself.  My dilly-dally pace is just what a Google says it is a waste time through aimless wandering or indecision.  I day dream, think of all kinds of things, contemplate the blades of grass, or every stone on the path.  In this pace I might not even notice that someone is behind me.  As they say I'm in another world.
In the morning my dilly-dalling is disturbed by the Spanish cuckoo bird.  It seems like once they get going they go one for along time.  Makes cuckoo clocks seem tame.  The cuckoos drown out many morning birds with their loud chatter.

Many people joined the Camino in Sarria.  The new people now in their second day are starting to slow down, some even limping from sore muscles or blisters or both.  I even saw a bad bicycle fall.  An older gentleman fell his bicycle fell on top of him and both him and his bicycle slide down the hill.  Two people grabbed their cellphones but no device.  Some local person drove up in a car and said he take the person to the hospital if needed.  A pilgrim stepped forward, I'm a nurse she said as she started digging in her bag.  Seeing that the people around stepped to help I walked on.  A little while later I saw one of the local police cars go by followed by an ambulance.  I'd hoped it was the cyclist inside.

1 comment:

Linda J Ames said...

Thanks so much for taking us along on your journey sister, Loving it,xox