Sunday, January 4, 2009

Working In Koutiala


Many people have asked about the work I do. For the first three months the main objective to integration into the community and evaluate community needs.

Earlier I wrote about my experience on the last day of Ramadon where the events of the day clearly indicated that I was on the outside of my community. If Tabaski is any indication I have come a long way.


The morning of Tabaski I spoke with my host dad in my concession and asked if I could eat with them knowing that there would be a big feast after killing the two sheep that had been fattening up for weeks. Bocar my host dad told me to sit down served me eggs and tea. We talked for quite a while. He told me how he use to play in a band and perform in concerts all over Mali Mopti, Sagou and Sikasso. The last week I had been practicing Christmas Carols on my recorder and Bocar said he heard me. Bocar’s eyes lit up as he told me about his concert days and said that when he married Fatim he settled down and became a school teacher.


Fatim, my host mom, came out onto the front porch and told me to get washed and dressed. Lukily I decided to wear my Malian Complet because Fatim whisked me off to Mosque to pray on the highest Muslin holiday of the year. After the Mosque Fatim, her sister and I went around the neighbor hood and greeted many members of her family. I had no idea that her family was just blocks away from where I lived.

Just as we were entering our court yard the men were slaughtering the sheep that they had been fattening up for weeks. Fatim sat down and supervised the butchering. I took some pictures and she invited me to sit down, I said it would make me sick and went over to sit with the women cooking. As the afternoon went on I helped cook ate fresh organic sheep meat.

My homologue, Koro, came by around 4 pm and asked why I didn’t come over to ear with her. I had totally miss understood the conversation about the feast and her sheep. She said she was going to town now. I worried all evening that I had ruined my relationship with her. The next morning I went over to great her. Since I found out she lives just a couple of blocks from me I have been going over there a lot and she in return has been coming over here too. We had coffee and made plans to go great people from work. Koro told me I should wear my Malian Complet.



Koro and Awa showed up around 3:30 pm, punctual for Malian standards. We started out by going to the Broche’s house the RAC employee. I met his wife and daughter and I think a sister that lives with him. Then we went to the UAAK President’s house then the Le Chamber President’s house. After this Awa went home and Koro and I went to the Dugitigi of Medina Cora’s house. A Dugitigi is a leader who’s family has been chief of the village or area for generations and he works closely with the Mayor and other leaders in the community. Koro knows everyone. After this we spent many days going around town greeting people. Then Koro left for Corte Ivory for her brothers wedding.


A lot of time has been spent sitting around drinking tea with important people in my service. It is just what Malians do.


Other work has included showing Koro different bogolan websites which introduced new designs that we are going to present to the other bogolan artist. I also designed a purse that I had the leather guy in the market make.


Now my time will be spent finding other ways to help the whole of the artisans here in Koutiala. Many of them are very active.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

it was great to meet you, after the dogon hike, at peace corps sevare. we are back to the damp and cold of the midwest winter - will keep touching base with your post - mention the warmth and sunshine sometimes, please! :)
julie o & francis murphy