Friday, November 14, 2008

A tour of Koutiala

My sister asked me several questions about where I live so I thought I would give you a tour of my way from work. This is the main road just off the road I live on. I bicycle to work every morning Monday thru Friday. The last couple of days it has been cold that for us here is 75 degrees and getting colder. On this day I took the long way to work.






This is the Bus Station where my host family owns a restaurant and I spent a lot of time at during my site visit in August.











This is the main highway through town. Koutiala is known as a trucking town and a main route from Ghana a sea port town and all locations in Mali. You can see my shadow at the bottom of the photo.









These are transports that Malians use instead of pickup trucks. One is a hand cart and the other is a donkey cart.


This is the place I bought my bed, which I had a hand cart transport it home for less then a dollar.










Here is a good example of what us volunteers call street food. In the morning they sell little millet floured pancakes or puffy rounds like unsweetened doughnuts. Later in the day they sell potato fries, regular potatoes and sweet potatoes. And fried puffy balls with a dash of flavored onion in them.
















Thursday is Market day here in Koutiala. This is what volunteers call a "Dead TooBob Store" it has used western style clothing. I bought two long sleeve shirts here because its getting cold.








I buy a lot of vegetables from this women. She's not pushy and has good prices.






Well that's it for now. If you have any questions about where I live let me know.

1 comment:

livetoday said...

Hello,

I'm Darcy and I am in a Intercultural class at the University. I am doing a skit for my classmates and have chosen the Dogon tribe in Mali. I am interested in learning about the "realistic" every day social roles of men, women and children in Mali. If you would like to share any information with me, I would appreciate it. Also, it is so nice to read your journaling notes regarding your experiences. I've always wanted to visit Africa but have only been throughout Asia.

Sincerely,

Darci