Sunday, March 3, 2019

Camino Prep Take 2


The guide book on the Camino de Santiago states the first day’s miles as 15.5 miles from St Jean to Roncesvalles.  This first day assent 4560 feet will be the steepest and most arduous route in the 500 miles of the walk.  I’m intimidated by this description.  Even to an experienced hiker in the Pacific Northwest a 15-mile hike with an assent like this is never easy unless you’re a mountain climber which I am not. 

At my first gathering of the NW Camino de Santiago support group I expressed my concern about the first day’s walk.   A man I’d met doing trail maintenance several years ago who was at the meeting suggested I go as far as Orisson about 7.7 miles from St Jean Pied De Port.  Relieved to break up the first day I called the Auberge in Orisson to make reservations.  The message went through Spanish then English, they’re not open until April asking callers to email for reservations.  I emailed them through their website which has one those templates you fill out and hit send at the end.  In the message section I asked for a confirmation via email which I’sd given them in the form.  That was more than a week ago, I haven’t heard a thing.

Continue reading my Camino de Santiago guidebook, I ponder what preparations for the walk I’ve done.  Last week 27 miles of walking this week 39.9 miles with two nine-mile days.  My average daily steps, 20781. The first 9 miles day consist of one 4.65 in the morning and one 4.4 in the afternoon seemed easy.  The next morning my muscles screamed out at me, “what are you doing.”  Responding to my muscles with stretches and hot tub soaks giving them temporary relief.  Can’t help but wonder when will I get accustomed to walking day in and day out.  Right now, doubt already set in, a mixture of determination and doubt scramble in my head.
Facebook has a Camino de Santiago group, I joined.  Haven’t posting anything but take note of pertinent information, and people announcing they’re going to start the Camino in April.  Googling blogs on the Camino in April 2018 to get an idea of what walking in 
 April will be like has not been fruitful.  People have blogged about getting cold on the walk and at night in May it’s snowed.  This means caring more weight, travel sleeping bag, silk liner to ward off bedbugs, multiple layers of cloths perhaps gloves too.

Spiritual preparations are also suggested in the guide book.  One I identify with reads, “The Mystical Path, “A sharing from the heart can be reflected in a simple smile, words are not needed.”  How appropriate with all the different people, who speak different languages on the Camino.  I’ve learned from traveling that a smile expresses goodwill the world over.  The guide book reminds me that “We take our tired bodies and neglected soul, sand dumb them at the start of the Camino and trust that all will be well.”  After walking to get in shape my body will for surebe tired, and the fact that I haven’t totally grasped the spiritual journey it seems as though I have a neglected soul.

The guide book I’ve purchased is the classic A Pilgrim’s Guide to The Camino de Santiago, by John Brierley.  This book includes maps, daily route maps, a map of the different Caminos, helpful hints like; how long will it take, Pilgrim Hostels; Preparation, outer and inner; some history; and even suggests to tear out the preparation pages before leaving to get rid of some of the weight.  The book has already helped me to prepare and will be one of the biggest resources, besides the people I meet on the walk.  I will leave you with a quote from the poet William Ward that is in the guide book:

But risks must be taken
Because the greatest hazard in life is to risk nothing.
The people who risk nothing may avoid suffering and sorrow,
But they cannot learn, feel, change, grow or really live.
Chained by their servitude they are slaves who have forfeited all freedom.
Only a person who risks is truly free.


No comments: