Tuesday, December 20, 2016

What does the Democratic Party Stand For?

I just joined a democratic meet-up group not too long ago.  The first email I read that was sent out talked about the rise of property taxes and wanted to discuss why this was happening and how the cost of housing was rising beyond most of our means. 

As I re-read it several times to make sure it wasn't a republican group I joined I thought I would show up at the meeting with property tax information like where every cent of your property taxes go, and how property taxes are levied according to the value of property and how those property values are rising.  The county is transparent on this issue and with one call anyone can find out this information.

I decided not to waste my time going to the meeting. 

Then I started getting the emails that seemed to try to guilt trip me into going to a meeting and then yelling emails assuming that I was complacent and not interested in be active.

This how I spend my week, I go to a Muslim Civil rights organization and talk to Muslims who are under attack now more than ever.  I write a blog on political issues, go to Black Live Matters demonstrations, and other grass roots actions.

Today I am going to Olympia to protest the electoral college.  On January 21st I will go to the women's march here in Seattle.

My friends  say t that marching in the streets will  do nothing to change.  But what I say to them is that we need to change the narrative and let's face it the press is not reporting on our issues in a positive light because they get their sound bits from the republican types like right to lifers, white supremacist, and other FOX news types.  One action that inspired me was when the Democrats orchestrated a sit-in in congress  for gun control and the press actual reported on something other than the NRA point of view.

So when trying to organize and no one is showing up  consider your what your doing is not working and not blame the very people you hope to inspire to stand up and take action with you.

No comments: